Sunday, January 3, 2010

Secret Sunday 7

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......The Essence of Art!
_______________

Carol Slade
Website: C.W. Slade
Cafe Press: CW Slade Gifts

My secret is to meditate everyday because it centers me and helps me fight distraction.

_______________

Sarah Fishburn
Website: Sarah Fishburn
Etsy: Sarah Fishburn: Designs & Ragtags
Blog: Ragtags Studio Central
Lulu: Cartwright and Fishburn

Shhhhh...

I know way too many people who aren't making art because they have to, or even want to, for its own sake. They aren't attempting to say something important, necessary, heartbreaking, or funny. They don't even simply want to make the world a more beautiful place. Rather, they are so teeth-clenchingly determined to get something PUBLISHED that the true nature and meaning of Art, and why we as artists are compelled to make it, becomes lost...


Don't misunderstand, I believe in artists' work being discovered, being seen, being appreciated, even being copied (by someone who is trying to learn process and technique - it's an age old teaching method employed by masters from time immemorial), and certainly to those ends, being published. But I think we do ourselves a disservice if we let that end guide our artistic visions, choices, and finally, the art we make.
_______________

Rhomany
Website: Rhomany's Realm
Ning: Willowing and Artist Friends
Etsy: Rhomany's Realm
You Tube: Rhomany's Realm

No one has to see your art journal. Ever.


Remembering this will help you to free yourself from trying to be like others, from trying to be perfect and from feeling that you can't just be yourself in your art journal. By all means share if you really want to. Just don't ever think that you have to, because there is nothing wrong in keeping something for yourself.
_______________

Jacquelyn Berl
Blog: Ascender Rises Above
Linked In: Jacquelyn Berl
Squidoo: Ascender Rises Above
Art Bistro: Ascender Rises Above
Facebook Fan Page: Asender Rises Above
General Facebook account: search "Ascender Rises Above"
Twitter: Ascender Rises

Do bad art on purpose; place pen/pastel/paint to paper and just mix
colors around. Have no idea in mind when you do this. Stand back and
see what has popped out and use it to continue the image. Do negative
art to get it out of your system. When you don't you will find it
surfacing in a fine art piece. Don't criticize it, don't share it.
Keep an eye and see where it progresses as you go through your days.
You will find it bringing you answers to questions.
_______________

Patti Sandham
Blog: Jazzgoil Ink

My fearlessness to experiment and play especially in my journals. Once I get motivated and jazzed up from working in my journals anything that comes to hand can get painted or collaged upon. This is how the Jelliglian came into being.


And notice his rich colours, it is obviously in breeding season! LOL! I experimented with using a paper towel for a background texture and “saw” the creature appear before my eyes and just accentuated it so everyone else would see what I “saw”. This is not my usual colour palette or type of image that I am drawn to, but I just went with it and I am happy with the results.
_______________

Marion Bockelmann
Blog: Bockel 24
Flickr: Bockel 24
You Tube: Bockel 24

I think art should contain some secrets itself to be interesting.

_______________

Jennifer Lorton
Website: Jennifer Lorton
Blog: Jennifer Lorton

For me, the biggest secret is the willingness to do something scary - Make the call to that gallery, submit a photo to a juried show, contact a publisher, write to that person that you admire, etc., you'll be amazed what can happen. The second part of this is not to allow rejection to derail you, just keep doing scary stuff and see all that you will accomplish.

_______________

Kelly Kilmer
Blog: Kelly Kilmer

Don't give up. Push yourself. Keep an art journal. Play in it. Play more. Work hard. Learn everything there is to know about your subject. Just when you think you've learned it all, you'll discover something new. Ask yourself "what if?". Learn the rules and then learn how to break them. Give yourself permission. Don't EVER compare your work to anyone else's. Make work that looks like you made it. It's okay to copy to learn, but at some point you need to start making art that looks like you made it and art that you are most happiest with.


Make art for you, not to sell or to profit from but for you. If you make art from the heart, it will shine in its honesty and trueness. If someone asks why you made something or what you're going to do with it, or if you're going to sell it, move on. Stay true to yourself and do what you love.
_______________

Jude Berman
Blog: Jude's Art Blog
Website: Jude Berman

I've noticed that most artists follow one of two processes. Either they observe the world around, select something of beauty or of interest, and attempt to enhance or reproduce it. Or they have an inner vision and try to replicate that, often with the use of symbols. I find it more satisfying to do neither of these. My secret, it there is one, is simply to be alert in the moment and watch as the art in essence creates itself.


As in the case of this detail from a watercolor, where I discovered the face already there, hidden in a larger swatch of color that had been applied at "random" to the page, just waiting for a small "touch up."
______________

35 comments:

Jacky said...

These are wonderful, inspirational words. I am really enjoying these Secret Sundays.
Thank you Seth.

Jacky xox

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Sarah Fishburns words ring OUT to me; I think there is great wisdom in her statement and something that all artists, at this moment, need to read, chew, digest and contemplate.
Art really, really needs to be the priority.
Everything else is secondary.

XXOO!!
Anne

ArtPropelled said...

It's a glorious Secret Sunday today! I've enjoyed every one but with all Christmas and New Year festivities I have been thrown out of kilter with my days and actually forgot today was Sunday. What a great surprise to find Secret Sunday had snuck up on me instead of the other way around.

Sarah said...

This is fascinating! I can't wait to visit the artists that are new to me too. I look forward to more secrets. Happy New Year to you!

Ange said...

Rich as usual! I have experienced the same as Jude but have also needed to copy and try techniques - just for experimentation... And yes - Art must be the priority (unless it feeds you - literally - and temporary choices must be made) Happy New Year to you all...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts this morning folks. SS has become a must read for me every Sunday. What a pleasure.
Regards,
John255

jill Zaheer said...

Another sunday of successful secrets unleashed! I don't keep an art journal but I just may start one after reading today's post!

Artsnark said...

Another wonderful set of secrets! Thanks for sharing

*jean* said...

wow.. this is my favorite secret post so far!! so many inspirational thoughts here...and sooooo many truths from the heart of art..

*jean*

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Seth; thanks for including me in this week's secret Sunday! I am looking forward to exploring the other artists here as they are new to me. Some wonderful secrets to begin a new year of creativity - just what I needed!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This week's secrets, mostly from those making art journals, brought a lot of color and new links to my computer screen today. I was especially impressed with Sarah Fishburn's words. Even with all my goals and resolutions for this year, that is one thing that I have no interest in. If it happens, it happens. Of course, that would mean submitting, too. I'm more interested in making art that I like, than art that I think a specific magazine will like.

Thanks for posting all the links and secrets. They are all wonderful today.

Commuter's Journal said...

Another terrific Secret Sunday, Seth! I always find something to inspire me. I'm going to be sad when it's over.
-- JeriAnn

MrCachet said...

I really like Sarah Fishburn's little corner of art. Inspiring. I have to go check out the rest of them now.

iHanna said...

Putting together this series of answers, links and images must take a lot of time, and I must say you're doing a grand job! I love all the "secrets" revealed, thank you Seth for sharing this!

Happy new creative year!

Evangeline said...

So inspiring! Especially:

"to be alert in the moment and watch as the art in essence creates itself." -Jude Berman

Love it.

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

Fantastic advice and thoughts on creativity...thank you !

Heather said...

I'm a student artist and a very new artist, so this is very inspirational for me. I try to take as much as I can from the many words printed here. I have also been introduced to new blogs because of this site. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jen Crossley said...

WHat wonderful artist there are in this world Im so loving these secret Sundays.
Thanks for all your hard work in doing this it is very much appreciated

nancy neva gagliano said...

i've been enjoying this sunday series of secrets! lots of good ideas, and approaches...yup, "opening connections"!!

kanishk said...

this is my favorite secret post so far!! so many inspirational thoughts here...and sooooo many truths from the heart of art..
american kobe beef

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

WOW, another fascinating read, so much to enjoy and ponder!
Thanks to all once again for confirming that art from the heart is where it's at!
oxo

Debrina said...

More great stuff here!

Unknown said...

Lots of wonderful secrets shared here...

Ro Bruhn said...

More great inspirations Seth. Have a wonderful art filled 2010.

Anonymous said...

oh how i've missed sundays! i'm so glad to be home, have the company gone and the ability to sit at my computer all day and read blogs if i'd like. happy new year and thank you again for all that you do and share, seth!

Monica said...

this is really fabulous advice...reminds me of julia cameron and her 'artist's way' advice wherein she describes the process of allowing our art to come to life; getting something down vs. thinking something up, etc... the face in the water color is priceless.

Lynn Cohen said...

All of these "secrets" are so affirming and validating and permission giving! Thanks to each artist who spoke today here.

jennifer lorton said...

Thanks for including my secret. I'm really enjoying reading everyone else's secrets, what a treasure box of wonderful ideas. Thanks everybody for sharing.

lynne h said...

thank you jude, for reminding me about this, and yea! sarah for speaking up.

Marit said...

That really helps! "no one has to see your art journal..."
I know it, but it's good to read it again now and then. Thanks for the wonderful "secrets" again!!!

book rebinding said...

wow! that's is very good. another work of art. this keeps me thinking of artful bookbinding.

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

OH, your project is going along so wonderfully! I love the "secrets" all being together like this. I am finally coming out of a mental fog and able to look through the artists lightly. Keep pulling people together, you are so ooooo good at it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again...lots of new artists to discover,
Cheers,
Mary

Deryn Mentock said...

Just getting caught up after the holidays. Many wise and wonderful "secrets" here, Seth. Thank you for all your hard work!