Sunday, February 28, 2010

Secret Sunday 15

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......Musings!
_______________

Robert Stockton
Artist Portfolio: Robert Stockton

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese concept which has increasingly had an influence on my artwork and my life. Though I may be stretching things a bit to call it an “art secret,” I find that the ideas that wabi-sabi represent are often present in my artwork, and are also frequently on my mind during the creative process. It is loosely associated with Zen Buddhism, and can actually mean quite different things to different people. To me, it is a recognition that nothing in life is permanent or certain, and that everything in life is in a state of change: of being one thing at the moment, but also being in the process of becoming something else.

It is a recognition, also, that in this life of impermanence and uncertainty, when you are able to be “open” to it (and can avoid holding on to things too tightly), a great deal of beauty can be found there. It is the beauty found in a decaying leaf; the rust stain on the wood left by a nail in a weathered fence board; a once splendid mansion that has fallen into disrepair with crumbling foundation, and overgrown with weeds and moss.


Some basic precepts of wabi-sabi include:

Things are either devolving toward, or evolving from, nothingness

Truth comes from the observation of nature

“Greatness” exists in the inconspicuous and overlooked details

Beauty can be coaxed out of ugliness

Acceptance of the inevitable

Getting rid of all that is unnecessary

I think, more than anything, the concept of wabi-sabi can give one a real sense of the place of the individual in the natural order of things.
_______________

Jacky Williams
Blog: ART4MOI

My secret is a quote by Sark that always helps get me going... I'm such a procrastinator. "Remember: First comes action, then inspiration". I have this pinned in my art room and on my fridge to encourage me to just get in and start and it will all come together.

_______________

Jayne Harnett-Hargrove
Blog: Harnett-Hargrove

I am an artist that practices the bastardizations of traditional crafts when needs direct. I think we all know much of process comes down to intuition/intelligence. In the designer/client world knowing how to change the intention, the media, and the expertise level to please the project introduced is imperative for me. I’ve learned how to deal with the real world while living in the creative flux. I have been collaborating, with Hanzon, on a cross-training dictionary of sorts and here is a few of our simple revelations:

1. Materials-altar / Method-alchemy / Inspiration-spirit.

2. There exists in everything the potential of transformation.

The marble not yet carved can hold the form of every thought the greatest artist has. -Michelangelo

3. Try to know if that was the easy part or the hard part.

4. If something is not changing you are not looking close enough.

5. Muse: Learn to work this. Most successful freelancers can't afford to wait for inspiration. People in other professions work everyday whether they feel like it or not.

6. Keep the iron moving.

7. Use gravity to you own advantage.

8. In a proposal I like to always throw in something terribly wrong... just to see if they are watching.

9. Inner-directed / Outer-directed.

10. Edentulous; Without teeth. I just really like this word.

11. Dynamic Change; Change that happens positively, immediately and, is not irreversible.

12. Great creative works are hard work and not simple. But if one is in true quiet profound excitement, and, being in this slipstream of the creative flux is indeed our element of trusting the outcome.

_______________

Leighanna Light
Blog: Leighanna Light ThingMaker
Blog: ThingMaker Studio
Etsy: Leighanna's Etsy Shop
1000 Markets: Leighanna Light ThingMaker

Just do it, get yourself in the studio everyday no matter what. If you don't know what to do or don't have a plan, just start by playing.
_______________

17 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Good morning friend, This musing tonight/tomorrow is poetic...WabiSabi...just do it...try to forget the inevitable fear...do it and do it now. This homily 's secrets was short and sweet but oh so powerful. The snow is still falling and there is a peaceful silence outside in the wildness and every once and awhile the creak from a tree in the wind speaks to me through the cold darkness. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

ArtPropelled said...

I love arty musings!

A quote on my noticeboard ....
"Nothing happens until it moves" by Albert Einstein.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Another great selection of secrets Seth, always something interesting too see and read!

Unknown said...

It always makes me smile when I hear others echoing this - "Work every day."

lyle baxter said...

I enjoyed all the musings! my thought is always "begin" the rest will follow!thanks as usual for sharing others thoughts with us! lyle

*jean* said...

edentuous...just absolutely edentuous...ggg

jackie said...

Just found your site, the 'secrets' are fascinating.

Daniella said...

wow. That is a lot to ponder. Great musings. Great inspiration!

Lisa Hoffman said...

This is GOOD STUFF.
Do you think that it'll fit on my arm if I have it all tattooed there?

jill Zaheer said...

Lisa may be able to get these great ideas on her- but she needs to use both arms and both sides. Another fun posting to read and think about! Whenever I see the words wabi sabi- I can't help but think of wasabi peas! Hmm - are they related?

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

Deep down, I know all of this, thank you all for reminding me...

Kim Palmer said...

I do find it true, that inspiration seems to come just from turning upo and playing. It doesn't always start with a specific direction but it seems to find one as I play.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so behind. I saw your post pop up yesterday, but was unable to get the computer out of my code maker's hands.

These are wonderful musings. I especially like the ones that say to get into your craft room, studio, or place where you create, and get it done. Thinking about art is great, but it must be followed by hard work and actual physical accomplishments.

Thanks for these.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Excellent and thought provoking post! The Creator made me in His image so I am creative; so I believe.

Ange said...

Wow - they just get better and better. Not only insightful but so motivating too. I will calligraph that phrase about action and motivation as I have often found that to be true: Nothing comes from doing nothing' I believe would be it's slightly more pessimistic but none the less valid counterpart!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Great food for thought!
LLight uses my favorite
"Just Do It"
Thank you all for more brilliant inspiration!
oxo

Anonymous said...

fantastic secrets indeed!! i always love reading these and i swear that the first thing i thought of today (tuesday) was "oh yay, it's secret sunday!!". whoops. i'm a bit behind but i love the quotes and positive thoughts, wabi sabi info and all! thank you, as always, for all the great reading and inspiration.