Thursday, March 19, 2015

Living With Art: 6


When we see art posted on the blogs from our community, by far the majority of times it is a cropped picture of a particular piece. We don't often get to see pictures of the art in the space where we actually live. Hanging art. Art on the walls. Art over the couch. Art leaning on the bookcase shelves.

Living with Art is about showing and seeing art in real life settings. Every Thursday I will be posting a series of images shared by creatives showing all of us just how art is displayed in their spaces. Each participant is opening the door and inviting us all into their surroundings. Please contact the artist if you would like any information about the pieces on display. If you want to share yours, simply email me an image, a few lines about your artistic aesthetic, and a link to your own online site. Now sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

---------------------------

and here is week 6...



I like to hang multiple artworks together with other objects to create mini stories. I have a lot of art, both my own and pieces I've collected over the years, so I rearrange quite regularly to keep things interesting and create new vignettes.

I surround myself with art that speaks to me at the moment. The works in this display are my own...I work digitally so it is nice to see these images in print form. The display is meant to be temporary which is why I am using clipboards and slip-in mattes so I can easily change when the moment changes.

(and see more of how Jen lives with art here)
Color, texture, composition, imagery all play key roles in my creative aesthetic, but the most import mat component is a glimpse of the soul.

When one surrounds ones self with art pieces that others have made, we see the world through their, the artist, eye. It expands our world to include the voice of others, and hopefully become able to see things differently. 

I decorate with things that mean something to me. I lean toward things that are vintage...old keys, old letters, a jar of spools of thread that belonged to my mom and grandmother. The set of brass keys in the upper left corner are keys that hung on my parents fireplace for years. I like to live with bits of my family history around me. 

In the early 90's I was privileged to live in Paris for two years, a time when I began to paint seriously. "Apollo" was one of my take aways; I was no doubt inspired by all the gorgeous statuary in that great city.

I love to inspire myself with art that speaks to me. I never really know what that is until I see it. The painting of the car called to me and my husband was really surprised at ho much I loved it. He wasn't sure at first but after we purchased it and hung it in our home, it seems to completely fit both our personalities. It is mixed in with other art we have purchased as well as art that I have created. It all seems to strike the right balance.

13 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

each home so interesting - I want to walk through the rooms and see more...thanks for the tiny glimpse into each of these artist's creative space...

elle said...

I'm nodding, I'm agreeing. I'm changing the way I live. Thanks, everyone for sharing!

PocketSize said...

Love this series you're doing. I may have to steal the clipboard display idea. What a great way of cycling through art that you are currently in love with, or seasonal pieces.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for including me in this series...I have been enjoying see how everyone lives with art. Very inspiring!! And PocketSize...please do "steal" the clipboard idea. I did!!

Patti Sokol said...

Once again Seth you have created a very inspiring series. Thanks for including me.

Cate Rose said...

Lovely collection!

Jen Cushman said...

Thanks for letting me part of this awesome series you're doing. I'm kinda obsessed with seeing inside people's homes. I'm always one of those folks who buy tickets for the historical home tours and love to spend a Sunday afternoon seeing how people decorate their personal spaces. Says so much about the individual.

Jo Murray said...

It is obvious that artists don't just make art...they live it.

Jackie PN said...

Another wonderful groups of peeks into the lives of others- I love how you have grouped each set- they flow from one to the next!
Mine are coming if you still have more! ") xo

Caterina Giglio said...

great series... really enjoying this, thanks, Seth..

Kay Wallace said...

More peeks into others' homes. I love this project of yours, Seth. I am so filled with gratitude for those who are willing to share!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for including me in another great "showing"! Am loving this series.

Carol said...

I'm so enjoying this series Seth, so generous of people to let us into their homes, and as usual, generous of you for the time you take to share these treasures.