Monday, May 7, 2018

Hannelore Baron

Of the many benefits of living in NYC, being able to see an endless array of artwork of all kinds is high on the list for me. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of going to Frieze New York. 190 galleries from 30 countries brought their finest contemporary and modern art to "the tent" on Randall's Island. I will be sharing some of my finds on the blog this week and wanted to start with a favorite: Hannelore Baron.

In her words: Everything I've done is a statement on the, as they say, human, condition... The materials I use in the box constructions and cloth collages are gathered with great care. The reason I use old cloth and boxes is that the new materials lack the sentiment of the old, and seems too dry in an emotional sense.

And in fact, compared to the majority of work at Frieze which was full-on contemporary, cutting edge, and quite new, Baron's work has a soul and depth which speaks to me. Loudly. I will let it speak for itself.















If you are like me and cannot get enough, head over to this blog post where I highlight her work from  a previous exhibition in 2016. You can also visit the website of the estate of Hannelore Baron and Michael Rosenfeld Gallery, if you are interested in owning her work. 

3 comments:

ann barnes said...

I love that you shared this artwork Seth. I can only imagine how it would be, to see it placed amongst polished contemporary pieces, I assume it would only give it even more of a soul. I can relate to the value of something having a history, something to give you pause, to ponder where it’s come from and what type of life it’s lived... this is what fuels my passion for historical architecture and preservation. Such incredible artwork!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Her work truly speaks to me. As someone like myself who has very limited funds, her art shows you don't need to invest in the latest and greatest tools to make meaningful and beautiful art. Most impressive art. I'm so glad you started with her work.

A Pink said...

Hannelore Barons art really does speak for itself and in such an emotive and inspiring way. She has a very special gift being able to create art that reaches out and pulls you in.... Thanks Seth for introducing me to her work and for sharing some of her amazing work .
x